Friday, April 8, 2011

Grammar Friday: Dangling Modifiers

It is so nice that G falls on Friday because it allows me to continue my weekly Grammar Friday.

Today: Dangling Modifiers




modi•fi•er  n. a word, phrase, or clause that limits the meaning of another word or phrase
--Webster’s New World Dictionary, Third College Edition

It is oh-so important to make sure modifiers are clearly joined to the word or words they qualify. If they are not, they are called dangling modifiers.


Example:
Walking into the kitchen, dinner was ready. (Dangling modifier)
(The way this is worded, it indicates that dinner walked into the kitchen and was ready.)

Instead…


Example: Walking into the kitchen, we noticed dinner was ready.(Correct)
(We were the ones walking into the kitchen and noticed dinner was ready.)


Another example:
When the book was published, the author was happy. (Dangling modifier)
(The book is the subject. So what happened to the book? What happened to it when it was published?)

Instead…

The author was happy when the book was published. (Correct)

Watch those dangling modifiers. They can be sneaky.

11 comments:

  1. They are sneaky indeed! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been known to split and infinitive and dangle a participle. I would like to send my blog to you first and have you edit it for all those things.

    I wish Greek would follow that rule. Sometimes the modifier is separated from the word it modifies by several words. Sometimes it is very difficult to make sure that syntax is carefully understood in a Greek sentence or the intended meaning of the author of the passage can be greatly misinterpreted.

    Now, let me see, did I dangle any modifiers?


    Gregg Metcalf
    Colossians 1:28-29

    Gospel-driven Disciples

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, Pleased to meet you through A to Z.
    Thanks for your visit and comment.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dangling modifiers can be quite funny, but I still try to avoid them. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made my share of grammar mistakes, but dangling modifiers is generally one that I understand quite well. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great grammar lesson! I'm guilty of the second - but only from time to time. Commas are my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they certainly can be sneaky. Enjoyed your clearly-expressed reminder about dangling modifiers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, lucky US that grammar Friday happened to be G. This is one of those things where I know it's wrong, but I don't know the terminology to explain why. Dangling modifier---gotta remember that.

    P.S. Your are correct on my Golden Girls trivia---Rue was supposed to be Rose, and thus Betty was supposed to be Blanche. Thanks for playing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right. Some of these are super tricky and very, very sneaky. It's easy (sometimes) to see it in others' writing but always in your own. Another good reason for a crit group!

    ReplyDelete